Friday 14 July 2023

of all my reasons//


I thought about leaving you

 for the first time

 because I couldn't burden you with my weight anymore,

The weight

 that I myself 

was buried under, 

increasing day by day. 

I drifted apart because 

I wanted to save you,

even if it crushed me, 

because I loved you 

way too much.

Imagine having one life jacket

and having to let it go. 


The second time 

it was also because 

maybe I stood way too close to you,

To overlook and not get hurt 

by all your careless actions

ignorant of their impact on me

And believe in a lie,

like fools

that you love me back 

as much as I love you.

Believe 

that the good in you

would overburden the rest, 

despite anybody 

trying to do the opposite.

I believed like a fool

Maybe I was too complicated

for you

And you deserved simpler things.


The third time

this thought crossed my mind was when 

my breathless body could only think of you

telling me how much you mean to me,

even when I refused to listen so adamantly.

When my heavy soul begged for freedom, 

that I refused it 

when I kicked down 

from the rope tied across my neck 

and chose to live instead.

That day I chose my life 

over your company,

I'm sorry I was selfish, 

but there was nothing you

wanted to do to save me, 

and someone had to, 

because I chose to live.


The final time it was all of that, but also because

the moment I started to drift apart, 

I could truly see 

in all your worst assumptions of me, 

that you never loved me to begin with, 

to turn around for a moment and hold my hand with love 

and ask me

about what I felt 

and why I choose 

to leave today. 

That's when I learned that enemies can hurt is a lie

Truly only the closest friends can push you to die.

and I risked my life 

for a love that existed 

only in my imagination.

And I couldn't stay

in a place 

constantly hating myself for loving you.

It hurt, but I had to leave.




3 comments: